Sunday, November 18, 2007

Keep on Pressing Onwards

Come this November, it will be 10 years since I've been baptised into the Faith. I've been a Christ-Follower longer, but 10 years ago I decided to commit to follow after Jesus with my all. It has been 10 years - with its numerous ups and downs and varied life experiences, and I'm still continuously learning some simple lessons. Lessons which I discovered when I was newly baptised and which I realised will take me a life-time to learn.


Keep On Keeping On

Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
- James 1:2-4 (The Message; emphasis my)

As James so aptly put it, your faith-life matures when you are under pressure from tests and challenges. We will ALL face difficulties in life; it is inevitable. Sometimes it is even more trying when we do not have answers to the why. I find that as I get older, I've more questions then answers.

However, I choose to keep on keeping on, I believe that ALL things, both the happy occasions and the difficulties, are all gifts from God - to develop and mature my faith-life. I remember the number of past times when God came through for me.


Keep Doing the Simple Things Again and Again

But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it. - 2 Timothy 3:14 (English Standard Version; emphasis my)

I remember Kim Meng's 50th Birthday at the Mori's residence, he shared his journey as a Christ-Follower. He said that in his years, he has to continue to re-learn and re-do the simple things - to forgive often, to love often, and not to get bitter.

In my 10 years since baptism, I continue to struggle to learn and apply this simple truth. Sure, the big things and events are useful standing stones - markers of God's grace, but it is in the doing the simple things again and again in all of life that defines your character and walk. It is tempting to focus on the big events like conferences and camps, but to be honest, I think many of us struggle in the in-between. To love and forgive those who has hurt and offended you, to continue to read and study the bible and do devotions, to pray continuously, and to continue to love God with our heart, our mind, our soul and our strength. It is difficult, but we need to keep on doing the simple things again and again in the mostly mundaness of life.


Keep the Hope

"So when God desired to show more convincingly to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable character of his purpose, he guaranteed it with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us." Hebrews 6:17-18 (English Standard Version; emphasis my)

The last lesson that I've learnt and continue to learn is as the author of Hebrews said, to "hold fast to the hope set before us." To hope. To look expectantly to the future glory set before us. This too is a continuous response; we live in a world where discouragement and hope-killing situations are common occurances - harsh words and discouragement from friends and family; overwhelmingly difficult situations; failure in studies or work; loneliness and broken relationships. I believe most if not all of us have at one time or the other abandoned hope or have been sorely tempted to do so.

Therefore, I often have to respond in belief again and again in God's promise - that God has set a hope before us - a hope of future glory; and that this hope lies in Jesus. And we have a responsibility not only to keep the hope but to pass this hope to the generation that comes after us.



Ollie
Nov 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen, ollie.
amen.

have been learning, unlearning and relearning this lesson too.

amen.amen.amen.