Monday, February 9, 2009

Finally, a sunny day in Louisville

This is my third Sunday in Southern Seminary; and finally - a sunny day with a temperature of 16'C. It feels good to have the sun shining and being able to walk about in the open without layers of warm clothing.

This morning I visited Clifton Baptist Church. I was at the Sunday School class at 9.30 am on the Pastoral Epistles taught by Bob Briggs. It was a good session as we examined the first chapter of Titus. It was well taught and Bob, as a layperson, showed a good understanding of scriptures and a commitment to sound teaching and doctrine. The class had a mixed of old and young with two visually-challenged individuals. What left an impression was the obvious care for one another and the warm welcome Lars and myself received.

During the service which started at 10.45 am, Dr. Tom Schreiner preached from Revelation 7:1-17. He spoke on the theme that as believers we are sealed by God, and though we were endure suffering here on earth, we shall be kept safe forever. I enjoyed the hymns and songs sung as we were lead by Chip Stam, who despite his operation on Friday, facilitated our worship of God in singing.

After the service, I had lunch with Lars at Great Wall - it was a good time of conversation around the Gospel and Missions. After which I had the pleasure of a slow Sunday afternoon spent in reading. One of the readings that impressed me was from my personal study of Jerry Bridge's Book - "The Discipline of Grace". In it he quotes a poem attributed to John Bunyan. It goes:

Run, John, run, The Law commands
But gives neither feet nor hands.
Better news the gospel brings;
It bids me fly and gives me wings.

"Grace disciplines us" as Jerry Bridges said, "So where the law condemns, grace forgives through the Lord Jesus Christ. Where the law commands but gives no power, grace commands but does give power though the Holy Spirit who lives and works within us."

This is a good reminder as I start my seminary education that Grace disciplines and instructs. I pray I remember the Gospel daily and place myself in a position to be trained by Grace.

---
Grace and Peace
Ollie
Feb 2009

2 comments:

Daphne Tan said...

what page is that!
and Caleb's got the same poem written and stuck to his wall.

Ollie's intersection with time and space said...

Hey hey,

it's on page 90 of "The Discipline of Grace" by Jerry Bridges - middle portion of the page.