Monday, February 2, 2009

Snow Storms and a Sovereign God

Pathway under frozen tree limbs coated with ice


Louisville was hit by the recent snow and sleet storm this past Tuesday and Wednesday. Temperatures dropped to -10'C. Southern Seminary had about 15 cm of ice and snow, and the falling branches and trees knocked out power lines resulting in power outage to most of the seminary buildings. As a result, I had to move to Craver Building where Boyce College - the undergrad wing of Southern Seminary is. Though it is inconvenient and disruptive, I am thankful for the warm room, comfortable bed and free meals. Many homes in Kentucky are in worse conditions. In addition, I am able to make new friends, and share lives, and in the process pray for salvation for Derrick's family and spend time in prayer together with Jonathan. God is still Sovereign and Good in the midst of this cold and adversity.


Icicles forming on walls

This morning, I managed to catch a ride from Brian to Third Avenue Baptist Church where Kurt Heath preached from Psalm 55:21. His meditations on David's betrayal by his close companion was distinctly Gospel centred. His elaborations on where to look when we ourselves are betrayed by friends are:

1. Look Backwards:
Look to the cross. The truth of Christ work on the cross would enable you to forgive as He has forgiven you.

2. Look Inwards:
Examine you own heart for sin and unfaithfulness. This would drive us to humility as we realise too the depths of our sins.

3. Look Upwards:
Trust in a faithful God who gives us hope in the midst of this betrayal by friends. Trust in a God who bears our griefs and sorrows and to look forward to the day when God will make all things right.

After the sermon, we had lunch in the fellowship hall with Donald, Robert and Xiao Hua. We had a good time of conversations and interaction. I would visit two more churches - Sojourn and Clifton Baptist Church, but at this point I'm inclined towards Third Ave Baptist Church. I am in the USA to learn and serve and in the process be equipped for service back in my home church - Grace Baptist Church, in Singapore. I've much to learn! I resolved to redeem my time wisely - keep me in prayer my friends.

---
Grace and Peace
Ollie
Feb 2009

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ollie,

Good to know that you're OK through the snow storm. My extension campus classes in DC were canceled due to the power outages in Louisville. I hope things have returned to normal for you.

Third Avenue is really solid church. I'm glad you're going there. Send my greetings to Kurt Heath! He was an intern around the time that I just joined CHBC.

Eugene

Unknown said...

Hi Ollie,

Good to know that you're OK. I hope things are getting back to normal for you. My extension campus classes in DC were also canceled due to the snow.

Also, glad to hear that you're attending Third Ave. Kurt Heath is a good, faithful preacher of the word. Send my greetings to him. He was an intern around the time when I became a member of CHBC.

Eugene