Monday, January 26, 2009

My first Sunday in Louisville

I spent my first Sunday in Louisville worshiping at Immanuel Baptist Church. Alex Leung who blogs here, kindly gave me a ride down to the church. He has graciously helped me settled in the past few days and I'm thankful for this hospitable brother in Christ.

Pastor Ryan Fullerton from Immanuel Baptist Church preached from Galatians 3:10-14. The gist of his sermon was that relating to God via the law (or for that matter, a religious or moral code of living) is not a way to be right with God. We can never obey the law completely; and when we break even one of the law, we sin. All men and creation is under the curse of God because of sin; and the only way to be right with a holy God is faith through Christ, who bore our curse, and redeemed and reconciled us to God. The Gospel is not clean up your life and do good; it is faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ that we are justified before God. I am reminded that even as Christians, we need to remember this essential truth lest we fall back as the Galatians did and try to earn our right standing before God through our good works or sheer obedience. Good works should spring from a gratitude to God and a transformed life that comes through faith in Christ.

I just experienced my first snowfall as well - it was amazing. I would have love it more except for the cold, which I've yet to get used to. I'll have to do some reading before meeting Matthew Dickey and Robert Li as we go to a friend's home for fellowship and to celebrate Chinese New Year Eve.

---
Grace and Peace
Ollie
Jan 2009

2 comments:

emseck said...

Glad to see u're settling in nicely! Snow's always good! Happy CNY. I'll eat the goodies on your behalf! haha.

Ollie's intersection with time and space said...

Thanks ah. (: Well you can eat more on my behalf then.