Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Heart That Trembles at God's Word is Precious in God's Eyes


But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble

and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.
Isaiah 66:2b


I have been reading Jeremiah Burroughs in Gospel Fear. In it he writes:

What is it, then, that will please him [God]? He tells you in this second verse: "But to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word.... Here we have three qualifications of one whom God will look at and have regard unto. "Will you know what I [God] respect? Him who is poor, of a contrite spirit, and trembles at My Word. Here is one whom I look to, with whom I delight to dwell, and in whom I take pleasure.
First, in a poor spirit, second, in a contrite one, and in him who trembles at God's Word.... Doctrine: A heart that trembles at God's Word is very precious in God's eye.

How often do I tremble in reverence when I hear or read God's Word? How often do we tremble in awed respect to God's Word being preach or taught? I often catch my thoughts drifting off thinking about errands to run and responsibilities to fulfill; or worse still, to critique the teacher or preacher in my pride. Even the times where my thoughts are preoccupied with Ministry is no excuse. Do I recognize that this is God's Word being declared? If so, do I tremble at God's Word?

_____
Grace and Peace
Ollie
March 2009

No comments: