Saturday, April 25, 2009

Surrendering in order to Cling to God only

I have the privilege of sending a weekly devotion back to the Youth Ministry Leaders Team back in my home church in Singapore while I'm pursuing theological education in Louisville, USA. One of the recent email concerns the place of Joy and Suffering in the life of a Christian. I included some thoughts from Ajith Fernando's book "The Call to Joy and Pain" which I am currently reading devotionally through. I've written an excerpt from my devotion below.


Continuing in the reading of Ajith Fernando's book "The Call to Joy and Pain", let us see what else he says.

Fernando in his book says,

Because God knows our tendency to cling to things in an unhealthy way, he often calls us to surrender some of these idols so we can be freed from their hold on us. The New Testament presents this principle in different ways. Consider the following texts:

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. (Luke 9:23-24 ESV)

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (Rom 12:1 ESV)

I die every day! (1 Cor 15:31b ESV)

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. (Gal 2:20a ESV)

Each of these texts implies that Christians constantly give up things that they like to keep in order to experience the freedom God intends them to have. The most important thing that we surrender is our own self - our desire to control our lives. Of course, we don't surrender and go into a vacuum. We surrender something in order to cling to God only. Surrender is the means to enjoying more fully the most beautiful thing in out lives - our joyous love relationship with God.


This lesson of surrendering I learn, is a daily decision. It has been a daily surrender and trusting of God. Seminary is not what some people think of as a paradise on earth. All of us in the Southern Seminary community, still face the same temptations, challenges and difficulties. I think this lesson of daily surrender to the Lordship of Jesus as I start each day in prayer and scripture, though simple, is the most valuable lesson I learned so far. Though I'm still not consistent as yet but I have been progressing.

I hope that you too will choose this day, "As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD" (Joshua 24:15b ESV).

--------
Grace and Peace
Ollie
Apr 2009

No comments: