Sunday, July 1, 2007

Starbucks Theology

I was down at One Fullerton Starbucks with Caleb, Ken Poon, Muriel and Jolene. We ordered our our coffee and food and sat by the bayfront. In the distance was the big ferris wheel - the "Singapore Flyer"and the Esplanade with the Marina Skyline. Bumboats with tourists and a solitary canoe were cruising to and fro in the waters of the Marina Bay, with the Benjamin Sheare's bridge framing the grey-sapphire waters.

It was an overcast afternoon, with a breeze from the bay blowing over us. Though it was humid, it was bearable with help from ice-cold frappuccinos. As we sip our our coffee we talked about life, work, studies and ministry etc. There were moments of passionate conversations as we shared our hopes for the church. I realised that God is already at work in the hearts of the young people around me. Our moments of seriousness was interspersed with moments of silliness as we wave with gusto at the tourist moving by in the bumboats.

We discussed various topics and ideas but it invariably settled on how we as Christ-followers should live the God-life. How we can serve in the local church we are at, through the various ministries - worship, youth and young adults, small groups. Caleb talked about discipleship and life-on-life; of which I agree and believe in as well. I added caution that this God-life comprise both doing and being, reminding Muriel of the conversation we had sometime back. The God-life in essence means to love God, to love others and to make disciples. In other words, to be in a right relationship with God, to be in right relationships with others and to bring others into this life-giving right relationship with God and others.

There was a pause in our conversations as I made my way into the cafe to purchase more coffee and tea - caffeine fuel for our discussions. On my way out I picked up a little booklet from Starbucks. It was "Discover the Starbucks Experience"; it describes Starbucks and what they were about. One phrase stood out - "It's what we love that defines us." It explains why Starbucks as a company did what they did.

"How apt," I thought, thinking back on our conversations. I thought as Christ-followers, its "Who" we love that defines us. That and "Who" we are loved by. I also remembered Matthew 6:21:

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NIV)

Here "heart" refers to the centre of all physical and spiritual life; and "treasure" means the place where good and precious things are kept. So what we love defines us, what we treasure determines the orientation of our physical and spiritual life. Hence if the orientation of our lifes falls short of the God-life, then we need to examine what we treasure most. A sobering thought.

I glanced at the "younglings" around me and I realised that they do treasure the things of God; hence the long conversations we just had. I was encouraged. Poon also remarked that things appear to be looking up. Things for our local church do appear to be improving baby steps by baby steps.

I continue to pray for these around me that they would continue to seek the God-life and for God to grant me grace and strength to continue to point them to Jesus.

Ollie
Jul 2007


No comments: