Monday, January 8, 2007

Wide Awake and Not Alone













I like rain.


I like the melancholic grey skies, the half-light that causes shadow-play on the canvas of the landscape. I like the smells that precede a downpour; the mix of earthy scents with hints of moisture. I like the sudden pause, an expectant hush before the first drops of rain fall. I like the cool droplets of water on the skin; the refreshing feel as it evaporates. I like the timbre of water droplets falling on roof-tops and car-tops; the sounding of many little drums as it welcomes the rain. I like the promise that rain brings - the promise of refreshing and renewal.


Maybe this explains my sudden burst of blogging as the rains of the past few weeks in Singapore set me in a pensive, thinking and reflective mood, ideal for writing and journaling.


I like coffee.


I like the aroma of coffee beans being ground, promising the delights of drinking a well brewed cup. I like the colour of the brew; the deep black hinting at the complexity of each sip. I like the bouquet preceding the moment of drinking; that evokes the senses, a faint memory of the place of origin of coffee bean harvest. I enjoy the robust body and acidity on the tongue as the coffee swirls in the mouth. I enjoy the after taste of each mouthful; the hints of earth, chocolates, fruits and exotic spices that arises. I like the company of people who enjoys coffee, knowing our common need for a caffeine fix, the acknowledgement that we are not perfect. I like the company of imperfect saints.


Maybe that explains my predilections for gatherings with close friends around a cup of coffee at a coffee place. I like the conversations among imperfect followers of the way of Jesus who knows that they are sinners but for the grace of God.


I like rain; I like coffee. I thank God for common graces like these.


Ollie

Jan 2007


No comments: