Sunday, May 20, 2007

Living for Something Bigger

When I read some books, the words resonates and leaves a deep impression. It is as if the writer is speaking directly to me; or that the writer pens some prose that encapsulates my thoughts and ideas but in words that seems like poetry. James Emery White is one such writer. He exegetes the Word and culture perceptively, and yet maintain the spirit and beauty of a word-smith. I quote from one of his book below. Read on.


"I remember sitting in my car in the parking lot, overwhelmed with a single thought: That's what I want for my life. To be caught up in the sweep of history. To be in the centre of things. To be making a difference. To be at the heart of the struggle between right and wrong, good and evil. My heart was almost breaking at the thought of a life of insignificance. Then I recall thinking. But where can that happen in the real world?...

Then it came to me - as startlingly sudden as a rip of lightning, and as poundingly affirmed as any thunder that could follow - that's what God's invitation to the Christlife is all about!... I could give my life to something that would live on long after I was gone, that was bigger than I was, and where what I did mattered and could affect all of history - even into eternity."
-James Emery White, Serious Times: Making your Life Matter in an Urgent Day


I want to live such a life - a Christlife.

Ollie
May 2007

No comments: