Saturday, September 20, 2008

Southern Seminary!


It was a distinct privilege for me to visit Southern Seminary on 19 Sep (Wed). I met with a number of students, staff and faculty - Toby Jennings from the admission office bought me on an informative tour of the campus; Terry Delaney (from Said at Southern) met with me for Christ, Coffee and Conversations; Kevin McFadden bought me to his church - Clifton Baptist Church for dinner and a prayer meeting. I even had the joy of meeting up with Dr. Pettigrew on campus and Dr Bruce Ware and Dr Tom Schreiner at a prayer meeting at Clifton Baptist Church.

A number of recurring themes emerged from the conversations. First and foremost, there was a strong conviction of God's sovereign hand on Southern Seminary and a sense of expectancy that God would continue His work at and through Southern. This was conveyed with perceptible humility and awe. In addition, the faculty were both academicians and practitioners, with a number either supporting the local church as pastors or Elders or involved in ministries that support the local churches - they would bring an integrated praxis of knowledge and practice to the classroom. Lastly, the students all mentioned the good interaction between the faculty and student; and that the faculty aim to pass the baton of Gospel work into the next generation of Christian leaders. All this convinced me that if I would to attend a seminary, that seminary would be Southern.


Ollie
Sep 2008

No comments: